I have to admit a liking for mechanical pencils… I think it started around 1986 with my first job, and a pack of throwaway ones, later progressing to a cheap Japanese one, various Pentel Sharplets, and Pilot Shakers. An old-fashioned lead pencil is just passé.

I wouldn’t think of this as an obsession, just a strong preference (I rarely use pens). “Doug Martin”:http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2006-03-14/stefanini-pencilcollectors – he’s got a real problem and should seek professional help. 🙂

Anyway, it got me thinking, and searching Ye Interweb for an answer to the question “What do you call a collector of mechanical (propelling) pencils?”

The “American Pencil Collectors Society”:http://www.pencilcollector.org/ don’t know; my wife suggests “plumbophile”, or “HBatelist”… any advance on this?